Picking up the first rod that you come across is fine when you fish once a season. Getting one for filling your bucket every weekend is a whole another matter. We might not give them the attention they deserve, but fishing rods plays a monumental role in ensuring an ultimate fishing experience.
Reels and lures steal all the spotlight in the fishing realm, leaving fishing poles in the shadows. But the truth is that these rods are bigger contributors in filling your trunk with trophies than the credit they are given.
Since anglers often overlook their significance, they end up with poles crafted from substandard material that snaps at their first big encounter.
Losing your trophies along with your precious rod is infuriating, isn’t it?
To save yourself from imminent disappointment, learn to choose the best fishing rod, for which I have constructed the following guide. So, Read On!
A Quick Look At The Best Fishing Rods!
Best Fishing Rods
What makes a fishing rod stand out from the crowd?
What features to look for?
Is the rod that catches your eyes even worth spending your money on?
If you have been foraging the answers to the queries mentioned above, today might be your lucky day. Here I have handpicked not only the best but also affordable fishing rods to boost your on-water performance.
Let’s get into it.
Designed to hold spinning reels, these rods are ideal for anglers who prefer longer casts and lighter lures. The following are some of the best spinning rods that I have separated out:
#1 – Ugly Stik GX2 – Spinning Rod (Best Spinning Rod)
- Lure weight (6′ light): 1/8 – 1/2 oz.
- Lure weight (6′ medium): 1/8 – 5/8 oz.
- Lure weight (6′ medium heavy): 1/4 – 3/4 oz.
- Lure weight (6′ heavy): 3/8 – 1 oz.
- Lure weight (6’6″ medium): 1/8 – 5/8 oz.
- Lure weight (7′ medium): 1/8 – 5/8 oz.
- Lure weight (7′ medium heavy): 1/4 – 3/4 oz.
- Lure weight (9′ medium): 1/8 – 3/4 oz.
- The matte black finish looks beautiful and protects the body from dirt.
- The EVA grips are very comfortable to hold.
- This rod is available in a range of length configurations.
- The guides now have a much more sophisticated formation.
- It is incredibly strong, allowing you to easily combat water giants.
- The stainless-steel guides do not hold well against braided lines.
- The tip is not suitable for drop shotting or slow winter jigging.
While surpassing its predecessors with great margin, the new generation GX2 model offers upgraded performance, which can easily get anyone excited.
Masterfully constructed from graphite and fiberglass, it delivers the tremendous strength required to land fishes into your prize bucket. The graphite surface comes with a matte black finish which is responsible for the rod’s stunning looks.
The guides are no longer all over the place but redesigned to a more sophisticated form. This way, they are much more efficient at what they do, without getting worn out fast.
Just like its previous model, it is outfitted with a clear tip, ensuring optimal sensitivity as well as the necessary strength to wrestle head-on with large creatures such as Tarpon and Redfish. No wonder the brand decided to retain this particular feature even in the latest models.
– My Verdict:
In my opinion, it is a kind of rod that always comes in handy, especially when you intend to embark on a long fishing journey. It comes with all the essential features to boost your performance, but what amazes me the most is the price tag.
Getting incredible strength that rivals even the expensive products at such an affordable price, is unprecedented.
Therefore, it would be wise to add this marvelous equipment to your collection either as the primary or a backup-rod, depending on your existing fishing armory.
#2 – KastKing Perigee II – Spinning Rod (Ultra Lightweight)
- Line weight (6’7″ MH): 8 – 14 lbs.
- Line weight (7’1″ ML): 4 – 10 lbs.
- Line weight (4’6″ UL): 1 – 4lbs.
- Line weight (5 UL): 2- 6 lbs.
- Line weight (6’6″ UL): 2- 6 lbs.
- Line weight (6’6″ UL): 2- 6 lbs.
- Line weight (5 L): 4 – 8 lbs.
- Action: medium to fast
- Guides: 5 to 9
- The body is lightweight, making it easy to carry around.
- It is strong, sturdy, and can withstand the test of time.
- Compared to other items, it is very affordable.
- It is available in a number of different lengths.
- It can also be used for baitcasting purposes.
- The tip is surprisingly stiff.
- The alignment arrows are not aligned perfectly.
It would have been a surprise if any KastKing item didn’t make it up to this list. As always, the brand remains a top contender in the fishing world, aiming to provide the best fishing poles ever crafted.
I am pleased to present you Perigee II — a highly praised fishing rod manufactured beautifully from a 24-ton Toray carbon matrix, ensuring accuracy, power, and prodigious strength.
Expectantly, where there is carbon or graphite, the item turns out to be lightweight, which is also true for Perigee II. So, it won’t be much of a hassle to carry this beauty around from your one favorite fishing spot to another.
The rod’s action ranges from medium to fast, and that is exactly why it isn’t just suitable for spinning but also baitcasting reels. Choosing the style is now up to you and not the rod.
– My Verdict:
The brand has never failed to serve us with some amazing products, and Perigee II exemplifies our statement. Without a doubt, the rod fulfills the brand promise of providing quality along with affordability. It would be challenging to find similar features within such a cheap price range.
Despite some minor shortcomings, it is a must-have and can be a great addition to your fishing arsenal. Not to forget, it comes in 29 different configurations, allowing you to match the best possible option with your angling style and needs.
#3 – Cadence CR5-30 – Spinning Rod (Great All-Rounder)
- Lure weight (5’10” medium): 1/8 -1 /2 oz
- Lure weight (6’3″ medium light): 1/16 – 3/8 oz
- Lure weight (6’6″ medium light): 1/8 – 5/8 oz
- Lure weight (6’6″ medium): ¼ – 3/4 oz
- Lure weight (6’8″ medium): 3/16 – 5/8 oz
- Lure weight (6’9″ medium heavy): ¼ – 3/4 oz
- Lure weight (7′ medium light): 6 -12 lb.
- Lure weight (7′ medium heavy): 10 – 12 lb.
- Lure weight (7’6″ medium light): 1/8 – 7/8 oz
- It is quite an affordable fishing rod, especially when compared to others on the list.
- The body is pretty lightweight, sturdy, and sensitive enough to detect tiny movement.
- The grips are not only comfortable but also durable and strong.
- It is designed to serve you for a long time.
- A range of length configurations is available for this product.
- It snaps under sudden pressure while dealing with giant fishes.
- The maximum power for this rod is low.
One can never go wrong with the excellent value performance provided by Cadence. Surely, it is a secondary option when compared to high-end expensive spinning rods, but it does get the job done, doesn’t it?
So, why don’t we renounce the costly alternatives, replacing them with Cadence — a cheap but rugged performer.
The ruggedness and strength come from carbon matrix graphite, which is also why the item is extremely lightweight. The material makes sure maximum power is delivered without making the product bulky. You won’t struggle moving it around no matter how many times you wish to switch fishing spots.
What’s more, the rod is outfitted with stainless steel guides, designed to retain the shape even under enormous pressure. Not to forget, the guides are attached so sturdily that even sudden impacts and bumps do not mess up their alignment.
– My Verdict:
There is no escape for species like Trout, Walleye, Bass if you are wielding such a splendid weapon. In addition to immense power, the rod ensures maximum ease of use, which is essential for making the fishing experience enjoyable.
It may come with some minor flaws, but they can be easily overlooked, considering the many benefits it provides. On the whole, Cadence is undeniably a piece of worthwhile equipment that you will absolutely love to see around on your fishing errands.
#4 – SHIMANO Solora 2 Piece – Spinning Rod (Very Durable)
- Lure weight (5’6” medium): 1/8 – ½ oz
- Lure weight (5’6” ultra-light): 1/32 – 3/16 oz
- Lure weight (6′ medium): 1/8 – ½ oz
- Lure weight (6’6”medium): ¼ – 5/8 oz
- Lure weight (6’6”medium heavy): ¼ – ¾ oz
- Lure weight (7′ medium): ¼ – 5/8 oz
- Number of sections: 2
- Action: fast
- It provides fast action even with medium power.
- Since it is simple and straightforward, it works well for beginners.
- An ultra-light action is a great option for teaching your kids the basics.
- The handles are very comfortable and firm.
- It is perfect for catching a range of different species.
- It is risky to combat large fishes with this fishing pole.
- It doesn’t offer as many length configurations as others in the given listicle.
Out of the major highlights to this rod, the one that caught most eyes is the durable aero-glass construction reinforced by graphite seats. Not only is it durable, but also flexible enough, allowing you to cast at great distances.
With strength, you wrestle with the fishes, and the optimum flexibility makes sure that you successfully retrieve the trophies without snapping the rod.
Further, it features guides made from a different material — aluminum oxide. It enables the anglers to combat with confidence, without straining over the possibility of line breakage — not to mention, these guides are more sensitive as well, allowing them to detect the fish’s movement almost right away.
The end is buttressed with cork handles, providing a comfortable grip and a firm hold over the instrument. It wouldn’t be anything like the hard-rubberized fittings, which makes each fishing session nothing less than torture for your hands and skin.
– My Verdict
Lightweight, strong, and affordable — can there be a better combination?
I don’t think so. The performance of Shimano exceeds expectations as nobody foresaw an affordable fishing pole to turn out this impressive.
However, I strongly recommend sticking to capturing small to medium-sized fishes. It can be a huge gamble to test its limits. You should remember that it might be strong, but not enough to challenge the underwater giants.
#5 – Berkley Lightning Rod – Spinning Rod (Best Budget)
- Lure rating (5′ light): 1/32 – 1/4 oz
- Lure rating (5’6″ light): 1/16 – 3/8 oz
- Lure rating (6′ medium light): 1/16 – 3/8 oz
- Lure rating (6’6″ medium light): 1/16 – 3/8 oz
- Lure rating (6’6″ medium light): 3/8 – ¾ oz
- Lure rating (7′ medium): ¼ – 5/8 oz
- Lure rating (7′ medium heavy): 3/8 – 3/4 oz
- Number of guides: 6 to 8
- Action: moderate, moderate fast, fast, extra fast
- The sturdy guides are compatible with the braided fishing lines.
- The rubberized cork enhances the angler’s grip over the instrument.
- The rod is lightweight but strong and durable.
- It is very inexpensive compared to its competitors.
- It will surely serve you for years.
- The grip isn’t very comfortable due to the gaps between them.
- Some parts of the rod are fragile.
Next up on the list is a moderately priced rod, which is designed specially to go with the braids. So, if braided lines are dominant in your fishing collection, the Berkley lightning rod is a perfect solution to your angling needs.
Moreover, it can wow any person with its graphite built and fiberglass scrim. Although it feels solid and strong, the rod does not weigh down on the angler. All thanks to the blend of graphite that ensures strength and keeps the structure lightweight.
The ergonomically designed handles are a plus point, featuring a firm grip, easy hold, and durable material. But the gap between the sections makes it somewhat uncomfortable.
As mentioned earlier, it is compatible with braids, and the reason are the Fuji guides, which are reinforced with silicon carbide inserts. The material neither wears the braids nor lets itself be worn out, ensuring smooth movement of the lines.
– My Verdict:
Performance-wise, it satisfies me, especially when considering its cheap price. However, it isn’t made for taking colossal risks, but just an instrument that gets the job splendidly done.
What I didn’t like is the gap between the grips, which feels uncomfortable in hand. The manufacturers should have retained the conventional shape of the grips rather than experimenting with this new look. Apart from this, you will not be disappointed with this amazing instrument.
#6 – KastKing Crixus IM6 – Spinning Rod (Great Accuracy)
- Lure weight (7′ medium heavy): 3/8 – ¾ oz
- Lure weight (7′ medium): ¼ – 5/8 oz
- Lure weight (7’6″ medium): ¼ – 5/8 oz
- Lure weight (6’6″ light): 1/16 – 3/8 oz
- Lure weight (7′ heavy): ½ – 1 oz
- Lure weight (6’6″ medium heavy): 3/8 – ¾ oz
- Lure weight (6’6″ medium): ¼ – 5/8 oz
- Lure weight (7’6″ heavy): ½ – 1 oz
- Guides: 9 to 10
- It allows you to harness immense power for your fishing challenges.
- It is upper lightweight and incredibly durable.
- The guides are compatible with braids and do not wear out fast.
- The anti-slip handles are comfortable to grip.
- Like every other KastKing instrument, it is also affordable.
- The blank is fragile, and cracks may appear after rough use.
- Tips snap fast when undergoing sudden pressure.
Witnessing another KasKing product isn’t shocking at all, as every one of the brand’s fishing poles deserves to be on this list. Crixus equips you with the skills to be a gladiator on the water and overcome all the fishing challenges.
The power ranges from light to heavyweight, allowing you to choose the right equipment that suits your experience in the field — everything at a budget price.
The handles, on the other hand, solves a persistent issue of slippage — the polymer material sticks and allows you to give it your all no matter how fierce the battle. Not to ignore, they are also pretty comfortable, preventing the hard inner surface from bruising your skin when the combat goes ferocious.
Moreover, the guides reek of quality, given the fact that they are skillfully manufactured to reduce wear and tear in this area. Since they are so efficient at reducing the friction, Crixus can incorporate braided fishing lines without any trouble.
– My Verdict:
The biggest selling point is doubtlessly the price tag. But some of the quality is lost while making the tool financially accessible to all. That is why it suggests staying away from fishing challenges that come with heavy use of your fishing rod.
However, if you are looking for a bare minimum rod that is also fun to use, Kastking Crixus is an option worth discussing. It may not work well for big fishes, but certainly, it is desirable to take home small- to medium-sized trophies.
As the name implies, they are manufactured to go with baitcasting reels, ensuring enhanced casting and successful landing of the big fishes. Here, I have handpicked the best baitcasting rods. So, read on.
#7 – Piscifun Torrent – Baitcasting Rod (Durable & Lightweight)
- Lure weight (6’8″ medium): 1/8 – ½ oz
- Lure weight (6’10” medium heavy): ¼ – ¾ oz
- Lure weight (7′ medium): 1/8 – ½ oz
- Lure weight (7′ medium heavy): 3/16 – 5/8 oz
- Lure weight (7’1″ medium heavy): ¼ – 1 oz
- Lure weight (7’2″ heavy): 1/2- 1 oz
- Lure weight (7’6″ medium heavy): 1/2 – 1 oz
- Lure weight (7’6″ heavy): 13/16 – 2 oz
- It is a durable, lightweight, strong, and reliable fishing pole.
- Even design-wise, it appears to be professional equipment.
- The titanium oxide guides are firmly attached to the body.
- The multiple carbon layer construction adds up to durability.
- It allows you to cast with great precision.
- The tip isn’t as durable as the rest of the body.
Piscifun slays as a baitcasting rod, considering the product’s unparalleled durability — ramifications of its IM6 carbon construction. It is formed by putting together multiple carbon layers for enhanced strength and elasticity.
Also, it is feather-light, powerful, and good-looking, making it a worthwhile weapon to have by your side. The components that attract the eyes are the beautifully crafted titanium oxide guides, that are embedded in the body firmly.
Neither sudden bumps nor rough wrestling with the prey can deform these guides — not to mention, and they can be set at three different angles for exceptional precision. They ensure that the power is directed in the right direction and isn’t wasted all over the place.
Moreover, the EVA handles adds up to the value, making sure that the anglers experience a comfortable grip over their instrument. Remove these grips, and you will not enjoy even half as much as you would with them.
Do you see how something so seemingly trivial holds paramount importance?
– My Verdict:
It is, without a single doubt, constructed with beginners as well as advanced anglers in mind. It would be hard to find someone that doesn’t find this marvelous creation impressive. With that being said, you will never be disappointed with Piscifun Torrent dishing rod, and I highly recommend this product.
However, you should be extra careful with the tip because it isn’t as sturdy as the rest of the carbon body. Other than that, it will live up to your wildest expectations.
#8 – Entsport E Series – Sirius Casting Rod (Best Value For Money)
- Length: 7′
- Material: Carbon
- Pieces: 2
- Lure weight: 1/8 – 3/4 oz
- Guides: 6 + 1
- Line weight: 6 – 20 lbs.
- Action: fast
- It is an excellent value performer.
- The guides are strong and do not wear out fast.
- It features stunning looks as well as a high-quality construct.
- Due to the carbon body, it remains lightweight and easy to manage.
- It comes with a multi-purpose hook holder.
- It snaps when dealing with big fishes.
- The rod only offers seven guides.
While keeping the weight minimum, the quality carbon blanks equip the rod with immense power, making it suitable for a wide range of angling techniques and applications. Because of the vibrant finish and solid construction, the rod looks appealing and feels good in the hand.
Since it is found in heavy, medium-heavy, medium, and light power configurations, the Entsport casting rod is an attractive option for varying angling needs.
Excellently crafted from dense-tensile carbon, outfitted with pleasant EVA handles and a stainless steel seat for the reel, it is indeed a force to be reckoned with in the fishing world. It would be more accurate to state that this rod can easily snatch the title for the top-rated ML baitcasting rod.
What’s more, you will not be able to ignore another benefit that it offers — the right sensitivity for catching fish faster. It is a perfect companion for spending long vacations on the water. No wonder it landed on our list of best fishing poles.
– My Verdict:
Doubtlessly, the rod has “quality” written all over it. You would adore how well it performs while looking amazingly good — all within a cheap price tag.
It is strong and works for small to medium-sized fishes. However, it may not work as impressively against giants because it isn’t made to deal with big fishes.
Even though it might have some negligible flaws, the product still manages to come out as one of the most prominent baitcasting rods currently available in the marketplace.
Now, it is time to delve into the archive of spin casting rods to help you choose the right match for your spin casting reels. So, let’s get into it.
#9 – Ugly Stik Shakespeare Elite – Spincast Rod (Best Spincast)
- Lure ratings (8’6″ medium): 3/8 – ¾ oz
- Lure ratings (8’6″ medium heavy): ½ – 1 ½ oz
- Lure ratings (8’6″ heavy): ½ – 1 3/4oz
- Lure ratings (9′ medium light): 1/8 – 5/8 oz
- Lure ratings (9′ extra heavy): ¾ – 3 oz
- Lure ratings (9′ medium): 3/8 – 3/4 oz
- Lure ratings (9′ medium light): ½ – 1 ½ oz
- Number of guides: 7 – 8
- Number of pieces: 2
- Simplicity oozes out of this rod.
- It is incredibly lightweight but still manages to dispense great power.
- The rod makes sure you react to the fishes faster and more efficiently.
- The guides are attached firmly to the body.
- It is available in a range of power options.
- It is very simple- and straightforward-looking.
- The packaging of the product could be better.
Many wow-factors are observable in this rod, but what allures me the most is the sturdy yet lightweight construct. All thanks to the improved design, which now features an extra 33% graphite, ensuring less weight and more strength.
It surpasses the brand’s GX2 series in terms of manageability, ease, and weightlessness. Further, the added graphite also enhances the product’s sensitivity to water. It means that you will not be able to detect faster, react faster, and catch those fishes faster.
Sounds profitable, isn’t it?
Yes! It does. But wait till you find out that it eliminates the need for pop-out guides with its more durable fittings.
As for the looks, you might be a little disappointed in this area, especially if you prefer flashy appearances. The design may remind you of old-fashioned baitcasting rods, which might be a good thing if you prioritize discreteness.
– My Verdict:
I bet you will be satisfied with what you have witnessed above. Ugly Stik Shakespeare spin casting rod is masterfully manufactured with high-quality material, which is easily comparable with a rod that is worth many hundred bucks.
Since it is longer than usual, it might be troublesome to control the fish when it is landed in our boat — remember, this is not a flaw but general information regarding longer rods. The only downside, however, is that it is devoid of vibrant colors, making it look dull.
#10 – Entsport Camo Legend – Spincasting Rod (Great Strength)
- Material: Carbon
- Number of pieces: 2
- Length: 7′
- Number of guides 6+1
- Lure Weight: 0.1 – 1.1 oz
- Power: Medium and Medium Heavy
- Action: Fast
- The handles are soft, comfortable, firm, and they ensure consistent control.
- The guides are hooked in place very strongly for increased security.
- Due to smart construction, it is flexible, versatile, and extraordinarily powerful.
- The guides allow the line to move fluidly through them.
- The body is lightweight, making it easy to carry around.
- Precision suffers a lot since the rod only offers seven guides.
- The tip is vulnerable to impacts and random bumps.
Missing something in your fishing arsenal?
This rod might be it. Entsport Camo fishing pole is touted for its versatility, allowing you to overcome varying fishing challenges. You will appreciate the rod’s structurally enhanced body that features carbon construction for harnessing tremendous strength while keeping it lightweight.
Just like every other candidate in this listicle, Camo Legend does not weigh down on your body, which makes the fishing experience as fun as it should be.
For maximizing durability and longevity, it features corrosion-resistant seats and guides. Plus, the ceramic inserts are also present to slow down the wearing process. It is, in every way, a long-lasting rod that will serve you for many seasons.
Agreeably, your body takes a huge toll after reparative casting sessions, but it may not feel as taxing as you might have initially expected because of the comfortable handle fittings — also, they are responsible for providing a firm grip, so that you never lose control.
– My Verdict:
You won’t be able to overlook its awesomeness as it offers a range of indispensable characteristics — strong built, lightweight body, and powerful action.
Doesn’t it sound like a dream fishing rod to you?
Well, it does it for me, especially when considering the fact that the rod comes with unrivaled sensitivity. What might put your mood off is the lacking number of guides.
The manufacturers should have packed at least 8 guides instead of 7 for better precision. If you can get past this flaw, which I believe you easily can, then the Camo Legend Spincasting fishing rod can do wonders for you.
Fly Fishing Rods
Known for their weightlessness, flying rods are the first choice for casting artificial flies. Here are some of the best industry leaders:
#11 – Piscifun Sword Graphite – Fly Fishing Rod (Highly Accurate)
- Rod weight (8’6″ slow): 3.9 oz
- Rod weight (9′ medium): 4.2 oz
- Rod weight (9′ medium): 4.6 oz
- Rod weight (9′ medium fast): 4.9 oz
- Rod weight (9′ fast): 5.3 oz
- Number of pieces: 4
- With 4 pieces, the rod is very travel friendly.
- It is lightweight, accurate, and highly durable.
- The guides are attached to the body firmly and do not loosen up over time.
- The cork handles allow the wielder to channel maximum power during long casts.
- Every component of the instrument is aligned perfectly to retain accuracy.
- The end segment is fragile compared to the rest of the body.
- The quality of the tip is questionable.
With varying action, the instrument is suitable for filling the trunk with small trout, sunfish, salmon, bass, carp, winter steelhead, and many more species. It harnesses the strength of the IM7 Graphite construction, which is one of the best in the market. Therefore, you shouldn’t expect anything but accuracy, durability, and high performance from it.
Furthermore, the aluminum seat for the reel adds up to overall durability — not to ignore, chrome guides and ceramic inserts also live up to the expectations. To allow the line to fly fluidly, the guide inserts are manufactured to minimize the smoothness.
The performance isn’t the only reason you would want this rod to be in your collection — instead of 2 pieces, they come in a 4-piece design, making it a lot easier for you to travel around. So, if you are someone who loves to shift fishing places a lot, the Piscifun Sword fishing rod is a perfect companion.
– My Verdict:
Due to a design and construction that really works, I highly suggest this masterpiece for long castings. Although some parts, especially the tip and the end segments, are prone to breakage, the tool will surely get the job done.
Here’s a tip that might save your life; stick to catching smaller fishes rather than chasing giants. That is primarily because the Piscifun Sword fishing pole isn’t designed for brawling with monsters. On the whole, it works as a backup rod for long weekends or vacations.
#12 – Mounchain 4 Pieces – Fly Fishing Rod (Premium Pick)
- Length: 9 ft
- Material: carbon fibers
- Number of pieces: 4
- Net weight: 105 g/ gross weight: 110 g
- Rod action: medium
- 1st section: Behind: 5.0 mm, Front: 1.5 mm
- 2nd section: Behind: 7.0 mm, Front: 3.9 mm
- 3rdsection: Behind: 8.9 mm, Front: 5.8 mm
- 4rth section: Behind: 9.0 m, Front: 7.3 mm
- It is a convenient tool to add to your fishing collection.
- Compared to others on the list, it is portable and easy to travel with.
- The chrome guide rings ensure that the alignment remains the same for a long time.
- Due to carbon fiber construction, it is not only lightweight but also durable.
- The color gives out a comfortable, simple, and generous vibe.
- The assembly requires some time and practice.
- The handles aren’t comfortable to hold.
One glance at the instrument’s striking design, and you can tell how the company wants you to flaunt the rod in your community. Smartly constructed with carbon fibers, this fishing rod is expectantly flexible and highly durable. Just like for every other carbon-made rod in this list, the material testifies for the weightlessness of this product.
Since it comes in four sections, you can trouble-freely disassemble and carry it with the utmost ease. Assemblage, on the other hand, comes with a slight learning curve, which can easily be covered with practice. So, no worry here.
While traveling, there is always a possibility of accidental impacts — the number one reason for the guides’ deformity. To solve this persistent issue, the manufacturers have thrown in chrome guides that remain aligned even when bumped into a solid surface. Also, this material is highly resistive against external conditions like heat, moisture, etc.
– My Verdict:
The rod is quick to catch the eye, and once your gaze is hooked, you will fall in love with the design. It is designed while keeping professional anglers in mind. It can be disintegrated into four sections which is both an advantage and a disadvantage.
While the disassembly makes it easy to carry around, at the same time, it becomes time-consuming to reassemble the instrument. In my opinion, it is more of a benefit than a drawback and a huge plus point for anglers who move around a lot.
Telescopic Fishing Rods
Are you tired of managing long rods that do not fit anywhere? If yes, then let me introduce telescopic fishing rods — the ones that fold into the body for enhanced portability.
#13 – KastKing Blackhawk II – Telescopic Rod
- Spinning 6’6″ /Fast /M |Spinning 6’6″ /Fast /ML
- Spinning 7’0″ /Fast /M | Spinning 7’0″ /Fast /MH
- Spinning 7’4″ /Fast/ MH | Casting 6’8″ /Fast /M
- Casting 7’1″ /Fast /M | Casting 7’1″ /Fast /MH
- Casting 7’3″ /Fast /MH | Casting 7’6″ /Fast/ MH
- Inshore Casting 7’6″ /Mod Fast/ MH
- Inshore Casting 8’0″/ Mod Fast/ H
- Inshore Spinning 7’6″/ Mod Fast/ MH
- Inshore Spinning 8’0″ /Mod Fast/ H
- The rod is extremely strong and highly resistant to impacts and deformities.
- It is suitable for different types of fishing reels.
- The many length options allow you to match the best one with your style.
- It can be assembled effortlessly in no time at all.
- Just like the body, the tips are also made from sturdy material.
- The guides deform under pressure.
- The cork bottom is fragile, and it breaks off easily.
Can you name a brand more prevalent than KastKing in this industry?
I bet you cannot.
The Kastking presents you with a flying rod that has earned the praise I am about to bestow. It features a 24-ton Torray carbon matrix — the secret ingredient behind the instrument’s unwavering strength and unmatched durability. Not just that, but the tool is also outfitted with a sturdy glass tip for high performance.
With fourteen available lengths, you can choose the ideal match for your style and needs. So, you don’t have to settle any less than an optimum match.
Whether you are interested in kayak fishing, bass fishing, trout fishing, or an inshore experience, KastKing is here to serve you. It dispenses the right power, stability, and strength for catching diverse species of varying sizes.
Unlike Mounchain 4 Pieces Fly Fishing Rod, the assembly of this rod is quick and easy. Everyone, no matter how inexperienced, can put the parts together effortlessly.
– My Verdict:
It is a rod that will always have your back. With a durable body and sturdy construction, you can expect it to last for many seasons.
The body is strong; however, some parts such as the cork bottom and the guides are not. I mean, they are sturdy, but not as much as they should be.
All in all, you can never go wrong with this rod, and it will prove useful for many types of fishing applications.
#14 – Wild Water Rod & Reel Combo – Fly Fishing (Value For Money)
- Number of pieces (rod): 4
- Length of individual pieces: 28 inches
- Weight: 4.4 oz
- Action: slow
- Length of western-style cork handle: 7 inches
- Reel: 85 mm spool, manageable disc drags, cast aluminum, 9′ 5X tapered leader
- Case: 28 inches, 4 sections
- Fly box: Dimensions — 5.25″ x 3.5″ x 1.25”, waterproof construction.
- Number of flies: 9
- The combo includes so much more than just a rod.
- It is an excellent value performer.
- The main body is constructed from strong and lightweight material.
- The fly box is waterproof, which ensures longevity.
- The guides on the rod are securely firmly over the body.
- The tip isn’t as durable as the main body.
- The quality of many things in the combo is not up to the mark.
The rod has a huge fan base, and the reason is its unrealistically low price. Contrary to what you might have expected from a cheap rod, the Wild Water Fly fishing pole breaks the conventions and ensures high-quality.
Along with the product comes a complete combo of everything you need for an absolute fishing experience — reel, floating line, casing, tapered leader, backing, nippers, fly box, and several flies.
Not all the things in the combo reek of quality, which is why you might have to re-purchase some, especially the flies. For beginners, however, it could prove as a learning material to cover the learning curve.
The main body, which is constructed from IM8 graphite, delivers superb rigidity. However, I cannot say the same for the tip because it bents easily.
Another highlight of this product is the stainless-steel guides that are secured firmly in place. Neither traveling nor continuous fishing will impair them.
– My Verdict:
Is it really worth it?
Yes! Is it worth it for an advanced or professional user?
No! That is because the rod and everything that comes with it is made with beginners in mind, or that is what I thought, considering the instruments’ quality.
If you are a seasoned user and willing to invest more, you have better options. But on a tight budget, you can’t do any better than this combo.
How To Select The Best Fishing Pole/Rod – A Detailed Guide
While going through the above guide, you might have come across many things that you don’t fully understand, especially if you are a newcomer.
It is no big deal, the learning process is a part of your journey as an angler, and honestly, it never ceases. Therefore, the following guide is helpful for not only beginners but also for users that are way ahead in the game.
Types of Fishing Rods
What do you think about how many types are there? Two? Three?
Well, you will be stunned to find out that there are seven basic types of fishing rods based on the angling styles. Here I have mentioned each one briefly to make things clearer.
- Spinning Rods — The reel goes beneath the rod, unlike what you have seen in other types. The placement allows the anglers to cast for a long time without getting fatigued.
- Casting Rods — They are not very much demanding as the reel stands over the rod’s handle. Also, it features an encased “nosecone” from the push-catch line discharges.
- Ultra-Light rods — As the name suggests, they are shorter and less dense for providing a weightless experience. That is why they are only suitable for small fishes.
- Telescopic Fishing Rods — They surfaced to solve the biggest problem in the fishing world — portability. Telescopic rods collapse into a smaller unit, allowing the user to easily transport it.
- Fly Rods — As evident from the name, these rods are made for fly fishing.
- Trolling Rods — With trolling rods, you can catch fish even from a moving boat.
- Surf Rods — they are similar to spinning rods but longer and are intended for on-shore fishing,
Fishing Rod Measurements (Choose Right Rod Length)
The right length is a contextual term, depending on the person’s personal preference. If you have no idea about the appropriate rod length, read on to find out.
Needless to say, the shorter the rod, the more accurate will be your casting. That’s because short length is easier to control and aim. So, if you seek to pinpoint accuracy, look for the rod that is 6′ or less.
Shorter rods do not deliver as much leverage as long rods, making the latter suitable for moving lines faster. For maintaining tension on the line when you have trapped a trophy, a long rod having medium action
It is kind of obvious that longer rods allow you to cast at greater distances. Therefore, I suggest that you shouldn’t settle for a rod of less than 7 feet in length.
Quality of Fishing Pole
How long the rod is able to serve you depends on the quality of the material, as the rod shouldn’t be just strong but also lightweight. Otherwise, it would have been easier to throw as much metal as possible for strength and power.
Therefore, to ensure power as well as weightlessness, carbon, and graphite are common materials for the main body. As for the guides, the following materials are used:
- Silicon Carbide — Nothing rivals the strength SIC promises. Not to forget, the material is also known for its heat-resistant and friction-less properties.
- Titanium — Another material you can find on high-end fishing poles, titanium retains the shape and keeps the guides aligned.
- Aluminum Oxide — Compared to SIC, it is pretty inexpensive, and despite being so cheap, aluminum oxide is exceptionally strong and durable. Plus, it also offers smooth performance, allowing the line to move freely without wearing out.
Rod Action, Taper And Rod Power
Rod action is the measure of where the rod is bent, whereas rod power is the measure of how resistant the rod is against flexing. If its bents from the tips, the rod has fast action.
In other words, you can say that the action represents the rod’s ability to pull back when the fish is hooked. Slow action rods are ideal for shallower waters, small fishes, and short casts. Fast action, on the other hand, is perfect for catching stronger prey in deep waters.
The fact that manufacturers engrave the action on the body explains the importance of rod action and power. So, it would be best to have rods with varying actions to use for different purposes.
But if you are only willing to buy one, I would suggest choosing a medium-action rod —it will cover various saltwater and freshwater fishing applications.
Choosing A Fishing Rod According To Your Preferred Fishing Method
Before purchasing the rod, the most important consideration is your preferred method of fishing. If you are someone who is new to fishing and seeking straightforwardness, a spinning rod matches your needs the best.
The reel is present below the rod, which is why you can hold the pole in your dominant hand. This allows you to keep the game under control.
The cheapest kind, casting rods, are suited for anglers that are interested in waterway or lake angling. In terms of handling the heavier line and cover, they are better than spinning rods. Also, they come with a button present around the handle, allowing anglers to maintain maximum control over the instrument.
For those who prefer the thrill of fly fishing, I recommend going for fly rods. Specially made for holding heavier lines and extra lightweight lures, these rods are different from the other two mentioned above.
The final decision comes down to what style you prefer. If you are into multiple angling methods, it would be best to hoard different types of rods in your arsenal.
Weight & Construction Materials
The rod’s weight determines the line weight it can accommodate. The heavier it is, the more weight you can put on. Heavier rods don’t break off easily and are perfect for brawling with giants.
But the castability becomes difficult — not to mention the precision reduces as the weight increases because you lose control over the tool. Choose the rod that comes with an ideal weight class that supports the intended line and your fishing method.
Generally, carbon and graphite are popular materials for the construction of quality but lightweight fishing poles. The material for the guides, however, vary.
They are constructed with metals — either titanium or aluminum, accompanied by ceramic coating to prevent wearing out. This also makes the guides smoother and highly durable.
Conclusively, what you require is a lightweight but strong instrument to combat the trophies without sacrificing control and accuracy.
Deciding On Target Species
Not all rods suit all types of species. Some prove beneficial in the deep ocean, while others perform best on small lakes and rivers. One of the most important considerations before purchasing a fishing rod is deciding which species to target at what locations.
If you want to fill the bucket with small fishes like trout, bass, catfish, then a relatively shorter rod with slow action would prove beneficial. For greater thrill in the deep ocean, a fast action rod will allow you to wrestle with big fishes’ head-on.
Once you have decided which species to target, choose the rod’s specifications — length, action, power — accordingly.
What Is Your Budget?
Whether you are looking for a rod, reel, or anything, devising a budget and setting up a limit is wise. It helps you quickly separate out the items that don’t fall into your budget and scan the available options rapidly. Without a clear budget, it would be like roaming around the market blindly.
Cheap fishing rods can be bought for under $100 only. Although not all cheap rods offer high quality and performance, there are many that are excellent value performers, such as the ones I have reviewed above. So, set up a budget and see if any products mentioned above match your demands.
Having the right rod impacts your performance to a great degree. Everything from your casting accuracy, distance to the chances of fish landing in your bucket depends hugely on the fishing rod.
Imagine the rod breaking down in the middle of combat; it is nightmarish, isn’t it?
Not just because of the loss, but also because of the recoil, which can send you flying on your back. Therefore, it holds paramount importance to buy a quality rod for a better and safer fishing experience.
With the poles I have culled, you will never return home without a trunk full of trophies. Just make sure you have gone through the guide as well to choose the perfect match. It contains every ounce of essential information relevant to buying the best fishing poles.
Frequently Asked Questions
#1 – What Is the Best All-Around Fishing Rod?
In my opinion, the Ugly Stik Elite spinning rod deserves the title for the best fishing rod. Powerfully built and beautifully designed, this pole features everything that every basic angler looks for, and it will certainly never disappoint you.
#2 – What Are Some Best Fishing Rods?
In addition to Ugly Stik, rods like KastKing Perigee II and Shimano Solora are also considered the best when it comes to providing good performance while ensuring affordability. Without a doubt, you will love to add these masterpieces to your fishing stack.
#3 – Are Expensive Fishing Poles Worth It?
Yes! They are worth every penny. Expensive poles are better than cheap ones in every way — they are better at withstanding enormous pressure, catching big fishes, detecting tiny bites, and covering more distances.
#4 – How Much Does A Good Fishing Rod Cost?
A rod can be bought at a price as low as $50, which may sound amazing, but the quality of these products isn’t. For a good fishing rod, you should raise your budget to at least $100 or close to the figure.
#5 – Is A Longer Fishing Rod Better?
A long fishing rod with+ a length exceeding 7 feet allows you to cover larger distances, but the accuracy suffers as the length is increased. That is why an angler should go for a medium length around — 6-7 ft.
#6 – How Do I Choose A-Rod and Reel?
For a rod, consider its length, action, power, and material before purchasing. On the other hand, look into the smoothness, efficiency, and resistance for getting a good reel.