Gone are the tiresome days when bulky fishing rods were in fashion. At present, where portability is prioritized, telescopic fishing rods reign. They are incredibly portative, given the fact that they can shrink to a compact size — these rods can even go from being 7-9 m to 45 cm, which is a huge deal for fishermen.
Telescopic rods outshine regular fishing rods in terms of unprecedented compactness, transportability, and of course, affordability. The public absolutely loves how they can save space, and can hassle-freely be carried around, which has been one of the primary concerns of anglers.
And that is also why these instruments have become increasingly prevalent in the fishing industry.
Contrary to a popular rumor that they are weak and prone to breakage, these rods can be as sturdy as any other fishing rod you might have experienced. However, not all products are manufactured the same, which is exactly why you need a proper guide to look for the best telescopic fishing rods.
A Quick Look At The Best Telescopic Fishing Rods!
Best Telescopic Fishing Rod
Since the marketplace is overabundant with different models and variations, it is taxing to find equipment that superbly suits your needs.
Fortunately, I have put forth a comprehensive guide to help you find the best telescopic fishing rods ever devised. The following listicle contains diverse products from various eminent brands to cater to the needs of different anglers.
So, let’s get started, shall we?
#1 – KastKing Blackhawk II Telescopic Fishing Rod
- Model: 8IH9-C
- Action: mod fast
- Extended length: 6’6 to 8
- Power (8IH9-C): H
- Lure Weight(oz): ½ – 1 ½
- Line Weight (LB): 12 to 25
- Guides: 9 + 1 (for casting)
- Guides: 7 + 1 (for spinning)
- Section 6
- The rod is incredibly durable, and the segments won’t collapse or become loose.
- As it can shrink to a small size, you can carry it around in a small backpack.
- The rod can slightly be adjusted using the elastic or plastic strap.
- You can quickly assemble the rod in a couple of minutes.
- It feels very comfortable because of the soft EVA handles.
- It works fine for small fishes but catching big hunts is a huge risk with this rod.
- The joint nearest to the handle is the weakest point and might break under immense pressure.
KastKing rules the market with its highly praised products that have won the hearts of millions of anglers globally. They have always brought about exceptionally high-quality fishing rods, which explains the widespread prevalence of the brand. KastKing Blackhawk II Fishing Rod is not any different and delivers unmatched performance and durability.
The sturdy glass tip part and KastFlex Toray carbon 24-ton matrix make sure the tool does not falter even when subjected to enormous pressure. The design is based on six pieces, but it feels like one solid unit — that is how brilliantly it is put together.
The brand realizes that fishing needs vary hugely between different anglers, and that is why this model comes in 14 lengths. Whether you are fishing bass, trout, or even bream and salmon, KasKing Blackhawk will never disappoint you.
– My Verdict:
Everything from the stainless-steel guides to sturdy graphite construction contributes to making this rod praiseworthy. It can withstand pressure but not enough to tackle very large fish. However, it is not an extensive problem.
You can still catch delicious small to medium fishes, and if you are lucky, you can even successfully capture slightly bigger species as well. Nevertheless, I would not recommend this, considering it is a risk to combat large fishes.
#2 – PLUSINNO Telescopic Fishing Rod
- Power: medium
- Size: 3.3 M 10.83 Ft, Closed Length: 46 cm 18.11 inch. Section: 8
- Size: 3.0 M 9.84 Ft, Closed Length: 45 cm 17.72 inch. Section: 8
- Size: 2.7 M 8.86 Ft, Closed Length: 43 cm 16.93 inch. Section: 8
- Size: 2.4 M 7.87 Ft, Closed Length: 42 cm 16.54 inch. Section: 7
- Size: 2.1 M 6.89 Ft, Closed Length: 41 cm 16.14 inch. Section: 6
- Size: 1.8 M 5.9 1Ft, Closed Length: 40 cm 15.75 inch. Section: 5
- Top DIA (in): 0.08
- Weight (oz) 5.29 to 8.40
- The rod is quite portable and easy to carry around.
- The carbon construction withstands heavy and rough use.
- It comes in various lengths, giving you plenty of options to choose from.
- Due to high-density carbon construction, it is highly sturdy and durable.
- It works for a wide range of fishing applications.
- Some users find it relatively heavier than other telescopic fishing rods.
- The handle is short, and it may not fit anglers who seek big grips.
A fishing rod that can effortlessly be placed inside a backpack has been a dream of every angler. Now, it is time to fulfill your wishes with Plussino telescopic fishing rod.
It collapses into a small and easy-to-store form and only takes a few seconds to re-assemble into its full length. So, you wouldn’t have any issue carrying it around anywhere and anytime you want.
No matter how long your fishing trip, you can non-stop enjoy this strong equipment. The sturdiness comes from the quality construction material — dense carbon blended with fiberglass. It feels solid and extremely strong in hand, almost like a well-made weapon of your own.
The best thing about this masterpiece is that it comes with an anti-corrosion protective layer, ensuring longevity. Whether you are someone who prefers freshwater or even saltwater fishing, it is an ideal choice — not to mention, it works for both the experienced as well as beginners having no prior experience in the field.
– My Verdict:
It gives great value for money, and that is why the Plusinno fishing rod is considered one of the best options for beginners. The tool collapses into a small unit, allowing the user to store it away with the utmost ease.
Also, this transformation helps you to travel from one fishing spot to another with minimum effort.
Users have reported that this rod stands the test of time and does not deform easily. So, you should not hesitate to purchase this wonderous rod, especially if you are a first-timer.
#3 – Sougayilang Portable Retractable Handle Telescopic Rod
- Power: medium
- Size: 5.91 F, Weight: 5.29 oz, Closed length 16.14 in, Section: 5
- Size: 6.89 F, Weight: 6.88 oz, Closed length 16.53 in, Section: 6
- Size: 7.87 F, Weight: 7.94 oz, Closed length 16.73 in, Section: 7
- Size: 9.8 F, Weight: 9.5 oz, Closed length 22 in, Section: 8
- Size: 10.8 F, Weight: 9.8 oz, Closed length 22.4 in, Section: 8
- Material: High-density carbon and fiberglass
- Advanced Epoxy Resin Guide rings
- It is available in a range of different lengths to suit the needs of different anglers.
- The grips are comfortable to hold and provide great friction.
- The stainless-steel guide rings are strong, and they do not deform with impacts.
- The length shortens considerably, allowing easy storage.
- The whole unit is quite sturdy.
- Even though it provides a satisfactory length, some users find it short.
- The screws and some other areas are prone to horrible rust.
Regardless of how long you have been in the industry, you must have come across one of the brand’s fishing products. They are touted to be one of the most high-quality manufacturers, and the fine craftsmanship is reflected in this spectacular fishing rod.
To retain portability, the brand has ensured a perfect balance between lengths and sections. It might be short-lengthened, but it is transportive.
It features ultra-light construction, which is contrived by high-density carbon, ensuring elasticity and durability. Play in saltwater as much as you want as Sougayilang comes with an anti-corrosion protective surface.
That is why it is an ideal rod for inshore, riverside, and on-lake fishing applications — not to forget, the EVA handles deliver a firm hold over the instrument so that you never lose control no matter how drastically severe the movement.
– My Verdict:
A rod reinforced with thick carbon, anti-corrosion protection, and strong stainless-steel guides is bound to deliver long-lasting performance. However, some parts, such as screws, are vulnerable to seawater, but the good thing is that they are easily replaceable.
As for the lengths, you have plenty of options to choose from, allowing you to match the perfect size with your angling style. Users who are used to extra-long fishing rods may find it slightly short. However, they will get the hang of it in no time.
#4 – Sougayilang Telescopic Fishing Pole
- Size: 3.3 M/10.8 Ft, Weight: 11.60 oz, Section: 8, Closed length: 20.08 in
- Size: 3.0 M/10.23 Ft, Weight: 11.85 oz, Section: 8, Closed length: 18.31 in
- Size: 2.7 M/10.23 Ft, Weight: 9.52 oz, Section: 8, Closed length: 18.93 in
- Size: 2.4 M/7.8 Ft, Weight: 7.9 oz, Section: 7, Closed length: 16.73 in
- Size: 2.1 M/6.8 Ft, Weight: 6.8 oz, Section: 6, Closed length: 16.53 in
- Size: 1.8 M/6.8 Ft, Weight: 5.9 oz, Section: 5, Closed length: 16.14 in
- Tip DIA: 70.47 in
- Power: medium
- The rod is strong and very durable.
- It comes in a variety of sizes, making it easy to choose from.
- It looks stunning, especially the guide rings that reflect different colors.
- The guides are protective of anti-corrosion material.
- It retains its shape and straightness for a long time.
- The guides become loose over time and sometimes fall off.
- The rod doesn’t work for large fishes and might snap under immense pressure.
At a single glance, you can tell how impressively it is designed. With cross carbon fiber technology, it is built to serve you for a long time — not to ignore, the design incorporates fiberglass as well for additional strength and durability.
Crafted from SIC ceramic, the guide rings are sturdy enough to retain their position and shape. On top of that, they are lined with anti-corrosion layers to deflect the harshness of seawater.
So, you don’t have to hold yourself back just because you are afraid of drenching the ends in water. Plus, they look extraordinarily mesmerizing — all thanks to the rainbow pigments used alongside ceramic material.
Are you impressed already? Wait for when you find out that this product comes with a high-quality CNC aluminum and a graphite spool. It isn’t some bare minimum spool but an incredibly high-end one that can be utilized for a myriad of fishing applications.
– My Verdict
The brand has always dispensed exquisite telescopic fishing rod designs, and this rod isn’t any different. It is outfitted with some appreciable features that you will fall in love with.
Also, it looks great, especially the colorful guides that accentuates the whole design. On the con side, they loosen up over time.
Just make sure the guides don’t crash with any hard surface to prevent deformities. On the whole, it gives out excellent value performance. Whereas the flaws, on the other hand, can be handled with minimum care.
#5 – QUDRAKAST New-Generation Fishing Rod
- Size: 180 cm/5.9 Ft, Package Weight: 240 g
- Size: 210 cm/6.9 Ft, Package Weight: 290 g
- Size: 240 cm/7.9 Ft, Package Weight: 340 g
- Material: high density carbon and fiberglass
- high-density EVA handle
- Honeycomb design
- Luminous tip
- Power: medium
- Color: black and red
- It comes in an exquisite honeycomb design with a contrasting color combination.
- The handles are comfortable, providing a firm grip over the rod.
- The luminous tip allows you to cast lures accurately at nighttime.
- When collapsed, it becomes very portable.
- The guides are strong and don’t become lost over time.
- Many components do not have anti-corrosion properties.
- It doesn’t come in many sizes — only three (180, 210, 240).
Since its inception, this rod has been in the spotlight for being one of the best value performers. It features outstanding components, an eye-catching design, and a plethora of length options to go with every anglers’ needs.
What catches the most eyes are the vibrant honeycomb pattern that looks marvelous. I think it’s the color combination — red and black — which makes it stand out from the rest.
The dense carbon construction makes it an ideal instrument to hunt down Trout, Panfish, Catfish, Bass, Striper, and many other fresh- and saltwater fishes. Even though it is strong, it may not work well against extra-large trophies.
The feature that makes it most unique out of all the above-reviewed tools is its better visibility during nighttime. The tip of the rod is painted with luminous material, allowing the rod to shine enough to point you in the right direction, ensuring precision and accuracy.
– My Verdict:
A rod that easily fits in your backpack, camp, a side of your car seat, ATV, and bicycle, is an ideal option for people who love fishing on different spots. Plus, it is sturdy enough to catch diverse species — striped bass, catfish, perch, walleye, trout, panfish, and various other saltwater creatures.
Although the rod is highly durable, some components are not resistant to corrosion, which needs to be protected. Apart from that, you would be very happy with this gadget.
#6 – Daiwa Megaforce Tele Spin
- Size: 6.89 Ft, Weight: 4.23 ounce, Guides: 4, Parts: 5
- Size: 7.87 Ft, Weight: 5.11 ounce, Guides: 5, Parts: 6
- Size: 8.86 Ft, Weight: 7.76 ounce, Guides: 5, Parts: 6
- Size: 9.84 Ft, Weight: 9.00 ounce, Guides: 6, Parts: 7
- Size: 11.81 Ft, Weight: 12.88 ounce, Guides: 6, Parts: 6
- Casting weight (oz): 0.25 to 10.58
- It comes in a range of lengths, giving anglers a lot of options to choose from.
- It is ultra-lightweight and pretty easy to carry around.
- The guides provide accuracy and keep the line straight.
- The rod is incredibly sturdy because of titanium oxide and carbon fiber material.
- You can catch a good number of species with this rod.
- Compared to its rivals, this model is quite expensive.
- The longer poles are relatively less durable and portable.
Daiwa fishing rods and reels have never failed to impress the customers. Always jam-packed with interesting features, they are a great choice for not just the newcomers but also for seasoned users. Daiwa Megaforce fishing rod, as the name suggests, is an absolute force to be reckoned with.
It yields outstanding performance and can endure abuse and heavy use effectively. Although the price isn’t attractive, it will pay off soon with a great experience. The rod is undeniably an irresistible temptation for anglers that look for a rugged performer to hunt down their favorite species.
With five different lengths, anglers can select the most suitable one to go with their fishing style. The guides differ with each length — you may get 4 to 6 eyeholes.
– My Verdict:
Everything from the rod’s material to the guides’ frictionless properties contributes to making this a worthwhile investment. You get the enormous strength to form the carbon frame and the accuracy and fluid movement from the guides.
If compactness is your primary concern, I will suggest you stay away from longer lengths, which are less portative. All in all, it is an amazing fishing rod and will serve you for many seasons.
Best Telescopic Fishing Rods – Buying Considerations!
Have you or have you not bought a telescopic fishing rod before? It does not matter because these buying considerations will help you anyway. So, let’s get into it.
Durability, Portability & Material Quality
As evident from what I have reviewed above, the best material for telescopic fishing rods is indubitably high-density carbon accompanied by another blend — fiberglass for enhanced flexibility and strength. Rods with glass tips are also prevalent, and contrary to what it sounds like, they are quite durable as well.
For the guides, make sure they are made with either titanium oxide, aluminum, or stainless steel. Any other material would not be able to hold up against rigorous motion.
Corrosion resistance is also a property to look for in guides so that they can withstand continuous seawater exposure. It might be hard to find a rod entirely corrosion-resistive, but at the bare minimum, the guides should be well-protected.
Undoubtedly, telescopic rods are meant to be portable, but the portability varies greatly between models. Some are more compact and easier to carry, while some bigger versions are heftier and not so travel-friendly. I would suggest choosing the one that goes with your angling style.
Rod Length, Weight & Power
How much strain the rod’s material can withstand determines the overall power of the instrument, which is denoted by a weight category. The following are a few that you might come across in the marketplace:
- UH: Ultra-Heavy
- XH: Extra Heavy
- H: Heavy
- MH: Medium-Heavy
- M: Medium
- ML: Medium-Light
- L: Light
- UL: Ultra-Light
The value also determines the type of fish you can successfully capture with the rod. For instance, Ultra-Heavy rods suit deep sea fishing the best, whereas Ultra-Light rods are ideal for small species like panfish.
Match the power with the type of fish you intend to capture for an effortless experience. Remember, they come in a range of sizes — some are more portable than others, so make sure you choose the one that matches your fishing needs.
The reels are set on the real seat, which is usually manufactured with graphite or anodized aluminum for improved strength. However, you should know that there is not a rod for every type of reel, and they don’t go with each other. You can easily mistake one for another and send your money down the drain.
Different reels are attached in different manners — spinning reels are attached at the bottom, baitcasting and spin casting reels are placed on the top. Baitcasting reel, on the other hand, can be rotated left and right as per the angler’s convenience.
Action & Twist
Action is the measure of how flexible or bendy the rod is, determining its speed. For example, if the most flexible point lies near the tip, then the rod is fast, whereas if the point is somewhere closer to the reel, then it is a slow action rod. With that being said, choosing the action depends on which species you aim to hunt.
For subtle biting creatures such as flounder or crappie, I suggest going for a fast action rod to react in a twinkling of an eye. On the other hand, you would need a slow-action rod for going after catfish, redfish, or even large bass. The following tags are labeled on the rods for action determination:
- S: Slow
- MS: moderate Slow
- M: Moderate
- MF: Moderate Fast
- F: Fast
- XF: Extra Fast
Number of Sections
Do you want more length to your fishing rod?
Look for the model with a greater number of sections. Although you will still be able to collapse the rod and shrink it down, with more sections, it would be less portable.
The same can be said for durability as well — the durability suffers from the added number of sections. That’s because the system becomes more complex with every section.
You may ask, what is the ideal number of sections?
Well, there is no simple answer to this as the question is highly subjective. It all depends on the users’ preferences, style, and needs.
There is a whole price spectrum for telescopic fishing rods, but one thing is for sure; they aren’t as expensive as you might have initially anticipated.
Still, before heading to the market, make sure you have thought over your budget. This way, you would not only shop faster but also can get the best option within an affordable price range.
They range from a few to hundreds of bucks, with varying features, quality, and performance. Just get your hands on the one that won’t leave you broke.
Whether you are a novice or just seek a fishing rod that is easier to travel with, a shrinkable telescopic rod would be ideal. From a long, sturdy rod to a smaller storable unit, it can be folded and reassembled within seconds.
Shifting fishing sites would never be this easier and trouble-free, considering telescopic roads can be put away even in your backpack. Although it is hard to wait any longer to buy your first rod but doing small research first will help you get the best telescopic fishing rod ever forged.
Considering the action, weight, length, type of the rod, material composition, and budget will allow you to make an informed and educated decision that will pay off for years.
Frequently Asked Questions
#1 – Are Telescopic Fishing Rods Any Good?
Roaming around with unshrinkable rods is a hassle. Plus, they are challenging to store and carry around. Since telescopic rods collapse into tiny units, they are considered better in terms of portability and ease. Though they are not as durable as regular rods.
#2 – Which Telescopic Fishing Rod Is Best?
Although there are several winsome products mentioned in the listicle above, KastKing Blackhawk II stands out with exceptional quality and performance. It is the Cadillac of fishing rods and outshines its rivals in terms of durability and precision.
#3 – Are Telescopic Rods Bad?
They certainly overshadow regular rods when it comes to portability, but they lack in certain areas. For instance, they don’t shut completely because of guides, which not only rattles but are also prone to deformities. Still, they are not bad — just a little less durable.
#4 – What Does Power Mean on A Rod?
The power refers to the rod’s ability to absorb strain and capture fishes without getting disfigured. It is represented by a weight value, denoted by alphabets — UH, XH, H, M. Simply put, the heavier the rod, the stronger it will be.
#5 – What Is A Telescopic Rod?
For the sake of portability, these rods fold into a smaller version, allowing the anglers to store and carry them with minimal hassle. As their folded form is compact, they can even be placed inside a backpack.