Every fishing type has its charm, but nothing beats the adrenaline when there’s a horizon in front and sand under your feet. The mesmerizing sound of seagulls, the waves crashing into the rocks, and rattling blocks and tackle tempts fishermen to only go home with a bucket full of trophies.
Coastal recreation comes with an opportunity to fill the trunks with croakers and various other saltwater species. But for a successful day at the shore, the right gear and equipment are critical, which includes a quality surf fishing rod.
Manufactured with state-of-the-art technology for optimum precision and anti-corrosive material, these rods are perfect for combating your dream catches.
Certain creatures like bluefish, albacore, and snook venture quite close to the sandy shoreline, allowing anglers to target them easily. Here, only a saltwater surf rod with the appropriate length, strength, weight, and design can help you land these species. Read on to find the best surf fishing rods to snag your favorite targets.
A Quick Look At The Best Surf Fishing Rods!
Best Surf Fishing Rods
Since the market is abundant with rods that you would love to add to your collection, picking some out is pretty overwhelming. Therefore, I’ve enlisted some quality surf fishing rods that will never disappoint you on your little adventure around the coastline.
Every product is carefully handpicked to meet the needs of various anglers. So, without delaying any further, let’s help you find what you came here for.
#1 – BERRYPRO Surf Spinning Rod
- Lure weight (9’): ¾ – 2 oz
- Lure weight (10’): 1 – 3 oz
- Lure weight (10’6”): 1 – 3 oz
- Lure weight (11’): 1 1/2 – 4 oz
- Lure weight (12’): 1 1/2 – 4 oz
- Lure weight (13’): 1 1/2 – 4 oz
- Guides (max): 6 + 1
- Line weight: 12 – 35 lbs.
- Pieces: 2 – 3
- The non-slip grip design ensures maximum control over the rod.
- The rod is slim, strong, and extremely powerful.
- It is available in a range of different lengths and weights.
- The performance is smooth and fluid due to the stainless-steel guides.
- As the guides are aligned perfectly, the rod provides accurate casting.
- The top eyelets malfunction and cuts the string.
- The quality of the butt is questionable.
Excellently manufactured with x-carbon technology, this rod harbors immense power and sensitivity. It is not only durable but weightless and slender as well, which makes it easy to manage. Since it isn’t as troublesome as hefty alternatives, the rod allows the anglers to be in full control while casting.
It is outfitted with various guides, which are constructed from fine stainless-steel material. They are smooth so that the line can move fluidly without wearing itself out or the guides. Also, every guide is accurately aligned with the body, ensuring maximum precision.
You can also witness several quality components in the design. For instance, the rear and foregrip prevent losing control over the equipment, the butt cap boosts comfort, and the sturdy reel seat enhances the overall strength of the device.
It is, in every way, a perfect choice for anglers who are seeking a memorable experience around the coastline.
– My Verdict:
The pole features all the essential characteristics that an inexpensive surf fishing rod should possess — enormous strength, pinpoint accuracy, and high-quality design. It will allow you to catch your favorite species without the struggle you would experience with a fragile and inferior product.
Although it comes with some flaws, the overall performance surely overshadows them. Just be careful around the top eyelet and the butt cap area, and it will continue to serve you well. Overall, you will be impressed by how well it will perform on the shore.
#2 – Penn Squadron II Surf Spinning Fishing Rod
- 7’ — Line rating: 6 – 12 lb. | Lure rating: 1/16 – 5/8
- 7’ — Line rating: 8 – 15 lb. | Lure rating: 1/8 – ¾
- 7’6” — Line rating: 8 – 15 lb. | Lure rating: 1/8 – ¾
- 7’6” — Line rating: 10 – 17 lb. | Lure rating: ¼ – 1
- 7’ — Line rating: 12- 20 lb. | Lure rating: ½ – 1 ½
- Number of guides: 8, 9
- Number of pieces: 1
- Weight: 5.1 – 7.5 oz
- The good number of guides enhances the accuracy with which the anglers cast.
- The smooth inserts make sure that the line moves fluidly.
- It is slim and ultra-lightweight, making it very easy to use.
- The pole’s skeleton is strong enough to handle heavy use.
- The finish on the surface is eye-catching.
- With only one piece, it isn’t easy to manage.
- The quality of the guides could be better.
The company has been at the forefront of state-of-the-art surf rod production in the fishing industry and is touted to be one of the leading manufacturers in this area. Advanced anglers from all around the globe have entrusted them to provide quality gear and equipment to reinforce their fishing needs with all-time best products.
Squadron II harnesses the strength from its high-end design that features a strong carbon construction and a powerful base skeleton. With this incredible design, it will not falter while combating large fishes, unlike most inexpensive rods.
In addition to this, it features an eye-catching black finish so that anglers look good while holding this amazing tool.
What you will appreciate the most is the powerful guides that do not deform even under heavy use — not to mention, they are reinforced with Zirconium inserts so that the line can move without wearing or tearing the surface.
– My Verdict:
Whether it is trout, striper, or even redfish, this amazing fishing pole is ideal for a wide variety of shallow-water species. It is built for maximizing anglers’ experience without disappointing them.
However, it might be difficult to carry the product, given the fact that it comes in one piece — it can’t be disassembled to fit in a smaller space. You may therefore have to be extra careful while carrying to prevent unwanted impacts.
#3 – BERRYPRO Surf Spinning Fishing Rod
- Lure weight (9’): 1 – 3 oz
- Lure weight (10’): 1 ½ – 4 oz
- Lure weight (10’6”): 2 – 4 oz
- Lure weight (11’): 2 – 5 oz
- Lure weight (12’): 2 – 6 oz
- Lure weight (13’3”): 2 – 5oz
- Line weight: 12 to 40 lbs.
- Number of guides: 6, 7
- Number of pieces: 2, 3
- It is very comfortable to hold and easy to use.
- The guides are made with sturdy material and do not bend out of shape.
- The rod is available in a range of sizes to choose from.
- It strong, lightweight, and comes in a sleek design.
- It is well-balanced and features a good casting response.
- It does not come with a carrying case.
- The first ring isn’t durable and falls off eventually.
Facing cruel waves isn’t a breeze when you are not equipped with the right fishing equipment. Berrypro surf fishing rod, on the other hand, is constructed to withstand the harshness of seawater and fill the buckets with your favorite trophies.
It is treasured for its x-carbon technology from where the tool channels its incredible power. Not just that, the construction also ensures amazing sensitivity, allowing you to detect the slightest movement underwater. This means not even the tiniest and the most agile preys will be able to flee.
Moreover, you will love how impressively comfortable this product is. The EVA grips are made to provide not only a firm grip but also a pleasant and comfy hold over the instrument — not to mention, the butt cap also enhances the ease of use.
On top of everything, the rod looks beautiful. It will certainly draw eyes and will give you the boost in confidence you deserve.
– My Verdict:
With a sturdy carbon core, you can expect nothing but strength from this equipment. And that goes for other quality components as well. It will surely impress you with its sensitivity, casting response, and of course, power.
That is why you will find it suitable for diverse saltwater species, including a number of relatively larger ones. It is truly amazing how one can get a rod this high-end under an inexpensive price tag.
#4 – Okuma Fishing Tackle CSX-S-1102MH Cedros
- Line weight: 30 to 50 lbs.
- Lure weight: 2 to 5 oz
- Action: medium heavy
- Rod length: 11 ft
- Number of pieces: 2
- Overall weight: 12.7 oz
- Number of guides: 7 + tip
- Foregrip Length: 8 – ½
- Rear grip length: 23 – ¾
- It is very sensitive, making it easier to detect the prey.
- Because of the carbon construction, the pole can handle heavy use.
- The high-quality Zirconium inserts make sure that the line moves smoothly.
- Since it minimizes friction, not much sound is produced when the passes through.
- The grips are comfortable to hold, allow you to play without hurting your hands.
- It isn’t available in many length options.
- For a spinning reel, the guides are a bit small.
Next up on the list is the Okuma Tackle CSX-S surf rod, which is constructed from the finest material — 30-Ton carbon technology. It is, without a doubt, a rugged performer when it comes to saltwater surf fishing due to this powerful core.
The superior blank construction provides the sensitivity you need to never miss prey, no matter how agile. Since you will be able to react rapidly, this rod enhances your chances to land your favorite species.
For those who look for comfort and ease of use, they can’t do better than this fishing pole — it features a non-slip handle and a comfortable grip. Even when you are facing a strong prey, you will have full control and grip over the pole.
Just like Penn Squadron II, the Okuma fishing rod is also bolstered up with Zirconium inserts for a buttery-smooth performance. In other words, the line will move without messing up the guides or the rod surface and pass with minimum friction.
– My Verdict
In addition to the beautiful appearance and eye-catching color scheme, you can’t just ignore the rod’s performance that rivals many expensive products. You couldn’t be happier with the quality, especially of the guides, which are usually the weakest component in the construction.
Some customers, however, have claimed that the guides are small for a spinning reel and suit baitcasting reels better. If so, then you should choose as per your fishing style and preference.
- Lure weight (9’): ¾ – 3 oz
- Lure weight (10’): 1 – 5 oz
- Lure weight (11’): 2 – 6 oz
- Lure weight (12’): 4 – 8 oz
- Lure weight (13’): 4 – 8 oz
- Lure weight (15’): 4 – 8 oz
- Power: M, MH, H
- Number of guides: 5, 6, 7
- Number of pieces: 2, 4
- The ceramic and stainless-steel guides prevent the surface from impeding the line’s movement.
- The high-strength reel seat adds durability to the equipment.
- The flawless fiber-carbon construction makes the tool incredibly strong.
- The non-slip rubber tube handle provides the necessary grip.
- It is available in several length options, making it easier for you to find a match.
- The tip of the rod isn’t as durable as the rest of the body.
- The eye guides are fragile and break easily.
Compared to other manufacturers in the listicle, this brand is newer but offers some impressive fishing poles that are worth checking out. For instance, the Fiblink Surf Spinning rod is a force to be reckoned with in the surf fishing category. The major highlight of this tool is the sensitivity that comes from carbon blank construction.
Additionally, the ceramic and stainless-steel guides deliver smoothness, allowing the line to pass without damage. Neither will it stuck in the guides, nor will it wear itself out during the movement because of the reduced friction. This makes this pole an ideal candidate for longer casts.
However, a rod is useless if it slips every time a strong prey hooks up. To ensure that this doesn’t happen, the brand has thrown in a non-slip handle tube, making the grip firmer and comfier. Based on the traits mentioned above, it would be a real challenge to find a cost-effective pole with such quality.
– My Verdict:
The carbon construction satisfies anglers’ needs which other materials cannot. It makes the rod strong, lightweight, and, most importantly, highly sensitive. The vibrations travel through the rod’s spine all the way to your hand, allowing you to discern even the slightest movement.
Moreover, it is outfitted with various important components to ensure comfortable usage and good performance. All in all, Fiblink deserves to be on this list as it is an excellent value performer.
#6 – PENN Battalion II Surf Spinning Fishing Rod
- 8’ — line rating: 12 – 20 lb. | Lure rating: ¾ – 3
- 9’ — line rating: 8 – 15 lb. | Lure rating: ½ – 2
- 10’ — line rating: 12 – 20 lb. | Lure rating: ¾ – 3
- 11’ — line rating: 15 – 30 lb. | Lure rating: 2 – 6
- 12’ — line rating: 20 – 40 lb. | Lure rating: 4 – 8
- Power: M, ML, MH, H
- Action: moderate fast
- Color: black/ gold
- Due to graphite composite construction, the pole is ultra-lightweight.
- It can catch a wide variety of saltwater fishes, including redfish and stripers.
- It casts like a pro and delivers high accuracy.
- The handle provides a firm grip even during wet conditions.
- It offers dream durability, balance, and action.
- Look wise, it may not stand out like some others on this list.
Nothing rivals the effectiveness of Penn Battalion’s graphite construction simply because of the balance between weightlessness and strength. The rod won’t weigh you down while traveling from one spot to another but will provide the strength needed for wrestling various shallow-water creatures.
Along with the composite blank, the rod also contains Fuji reel steel and Fuji Alconite guides. Both additions make the structure much stronger. Because of this superb rigidity, the pole can easily earn the title of the best surf fishing rod.
Another component that is worth praising is the rubber tube handle. With a firm rubberized grip, the rod will no longer slip from your hand while hassling with a tough opponent — not to forget, it works no matter what the condition, whether dry or extremely wet.
Without a doubt, the rod will be a great addition to your fishing collection and will certainly get the job done.
– My Verdict:
You will be happy with this product and will appreciate how well it performs. Not only does it allow the user to cast accurately, but it also draws and retrieves with maximum success rate.
Everything from the tip to the buttress, it is a masterpiece. However, you cannot tell unless you have tried this equipment. That’s because it doesn’t carry many standing-out features or flashy designs to land a good first impression.
#7 – Okuma Longitude Surf Graphite Rods
- 8’ — line rating: 15 – 30 lb. | lure rating:1/2 – 3
- 9’ — line rating: 15 – 40 lb. | lure rating: 1 – 4
- 10’ — line rating: 20 – 40 lb. | lure rating: 3 – 8
- 11’ — line rating: 20 – 40 lb. | lure rating: 3 – 8
- 12’ — line rating: 20 – 40 lb. | lure rating: 3 – 8
- Overall weight: 14.8 to 30.6 oz
- Number of guides: 6 + tip
- Rod power: M, H
- Reel remains in place because of the stainless-steel hooded reel seat.
- You can detect even light bites with this fishing pole.
- It is ultra-lightweight and impressively powerful.
- It is manufactured in multiple actions and lengths.
- While moving between guides, the line doesn’t make noise.
- The protective ring on the tip is not present in the design.
- The tip is fragile, and the guides become loose over time.
No surprise that another Okuma fishing rod made it to this list. The quality is as satisfying as the other one I have mentioned above.
Agreeably, the success of your surf-angling depends on how well the rod holds against saltwater and how strong it is in dealing with large fishes. Based on this, Longitude is a winsome product, especially when you consider the durability of composite graphite blanks.
Further, sturdiness reigns for the components, which are designed to withstand all-day heavy use. For instance, aluminum oxide and stainless-steel guides and frames keep the line working smoothly. Another plus point of the construction is that when the line passes through the guides, it doesn’t make much jarring noise.
What’s more, the casting has never been this hassle-free and comfortable. All thanks to the superior and more comfortable rear and foregrips. From the tip to the base, the rod is made to ensure maximum efficiency.
– My Verdict:
Okuma Surf rods are known for their impressive performance, durability, and affordability, and the Longitude fishing pole isn’t any different. It will hold well against saltwater and will be a great weapon to defeat many tough species.
The fragile tip and guides are the only flaw I could find, which aren’t a big deal compared to the product’s overall performance. All you have to do is stay extra careful around these areas to ensure the longevity of the equipment.
#8 – TICA UEHA Surf Spinning Fishing Rod
- 7’ — line weight: 6 – 17 lbs. | lure weight: ½ – 2 oz
- 8’ — line weight: 6 – 17 lbs. | lure weight: ½ – 2 oz
- 9’ — line weight: 10 – 25 lbs. | lure weight: ½ – 3 oz
- 9’6” — line weight: 8 – 17 lbs. | lure weight: ½ – 1 1/2 oz
- 10’ — line weight: 12 – 30 lbs. | lure weight: 2 – 8 oz
- 10’6” — line weight: 12 – 30 lbs. | lure weight: 2 – 8 oz
- 11’ — line weight: 15 – 40 lbs. | lure weight: 3 – 8 oz
- 12’ — line weight: 15 – 40 lbs. | lure weight: 4 – 10 oz
- It is lightweight and strong.
- The aluminum guides are perfectly aligned.
- The superior anti-slip handle ensures a firm hold.
- Compared to other instruments, it is quite inexpensive.
- It is a well-balanced and stable fishing rod.
- The tip snaps under sudden pressure.
- It comes with a very extensive butt.
Lastly, I present to you the Tica Ueha spinning fishing rod — yet another quality instrument that is praiseworthy. The brands’ rods are immensely popular for their reliability, dependable performance, and outstanding strength. All these traits mentioned above are easily observable in the Tica Ueha fishing pole.
What draws most attention to this product is the TC2 high modulus graphite construction, which is the magical ingredient behind the tool’s incredible power.
Also, it is the reason why the rod is highly flexible and lightweight enough to be trouble-freely carried around. Doubtlessly, it is perfect for all-day fishing adventures around the shoreline.
Moreover, you will also appreciate the high-grade aluminum eyelets, which guide the line in the right direction. Each eyelet is outfitted with frictionless inserts so that the line can move freely without hurting the equipment.
– My Verdict:
You have every reason to invest in this marvelous creation — the Tica Ueha surf rod is lightweight, strong, sensitive, and highly accurate. With all these traits, your chances to land your favorite targets are extremely high.
Although some parts such as the tip are fragile and prone to snapping, the rest of the body is durable. Just be careful around the sensitive area, and you will have no problem with this instrument.
Best Surf Fishing Rods – Everything You Need to Know!
Before making your final decision and taking a fishing rod home, you must do your homework so that you can choose a winsome product. In this section, I have compiled every ounce of information you are required to pick out a suitable match for you.
So, let’s get into it.
What Is A Surf Fishing Rod? Advantages Of Using A Surf Rod For Fishing?
Unlike other types, surf rods are somewhat longer — ranging from 8 ft to 15 ft, depending on the model and the design. The extra length allows you to hook more weight and drag out hefty creatures out of the water with ease.
Plus, it makes it easier to cast at great distances, which makes sense because you are fishing on a shore and not on a small lake or a river.
On-shore adventure is indeed thrilling, but that’s not the only reason why anglers choose to wield surf rods. For instance, they are known to lessen physical fatigue to a great degree.
You can leave the rod and wait around until you detect some movement. This way, your body can relax, loosen up, and only exert force when actually needed. With extra length, you can even attach the pole onto a device to free up your limbs from non-stop exhaustion.
In addition to that, you will be able to cover large distances, use multiple lures, and detect even the slightest bites right away. This will boost your ability to land fishes and fill the buckets faster than ever. So, owning a surf fishing rod will prove advantageous, especially if you are choosing a longer and stronger model.
Size, Material & Casting
Expectantly, larger rods are stronger and can cover a wide area, and the opposite can be said for relatively smaller ones. Not to forget, because of the larger built, portability suffers, making it a challenge for anglers to travel with the equipment.
It would be best if you could get a rod that collapses into a tinier form and can be reassembled when needed. Plus, it will also help you store the tool away when not in use.
It is pertinent to mention that longer rods are prone to unwanted impacts while storing and traveling. That is why it is safe to assume that with increased length, the lifetime of the rod and its components shortens.
As for the material, graphite and composite materials are perfect options. They are not only durable and sturdy but also surprisingly lightweight, makes it easier for anglers to wield the instrument. The material you choose can dramatically alter your performance, and it can make or break it for you.
Rod Length & Weight
As mentioned repeatedly earlier, surf rods are available in a range of sizes up to 15 ft. The longer they are, the wider will be the casting distance, which is a huge plus point, especially when there is a sea ahead.
However, the accuracy suffers when the length increases — shorter rods with the same action will be considerably more accurate but suffer from short casting distance. Therefore, I suggest choosing a moderately long surf rod with a length between 10’ to 12’ for well-balanced performance.
Needless to say, the weight also fluctuates with the length. Just make sure the equipment doesn’t weigh down on your body and is trouble-free to carry along.
Rod Action & Power
Both of these factors are critical, which the anglers mustn’t overlook. Power is the measure of weight required to bend the rod, or in simple words, it is the rod’s lifting strength. For instance, a light rod can barely lift a small fish, whereas a heavy one can draw out beasts from water.
Action, on the other hand, is slightly trickier and is measured by speed. The faster rod will bend from the end, while the slower ones will tilt closer to your hands. In my opinion, the poles having moderate speed works best since they have qualities of both types.
Target Species And Preferred Baits
As an angler, your first and foremost consideration should be the species to target. Since catfish, redfish, salmon, bass, and every other species behaves differently, you cannot use the same rod for all.
For instance, a fast hook set suits creatures such as largemouth bass. Therefore, in this case, fishermen should choose poles with fast action. Otherwise, you will continue to lose your catches one after another until you are able to set the hook rapidly.
Opposite to this, slow action poles are ideal for species such as catfish and salmon. That’s because they move a lot in the water, and fast action will lead to lost catches.
Flexibility and Sensitivity
Stiff rods will break under sudden pressure, and that is why flexibility is pivotal for fishing rods. The ability to bend would mean that the fishing pole can wrestle head-on with large sea monsters without snapping into two pieces.
Furthermore, high sensitivity would mean that the rod can detect slight vibrations and direct them to your hands, allowing you to react instantaneously. This considerably enhances one’s chances to successfully drag the trophy out in time.
Just make sure whatever equipment you have chosen comes with the right balance between sensitivity and flexibility for optimum performance.
For fishing enthusiasts who are aiming to purchase the best surf fishing rods, the reviews and the guide that I have compiled will prove immensely helpful.
Every candidate in the list mentioned above offers a wide array of features and essential characteristics such as high-end build quality, weightless construction, rigidity, strength, and amazing power. Not just that, I have also taken into account the users’ comfort level and ease of use before handpicking the items.
No matter which one you choose, you can never go wrong with any of them. However, to ensure that your chosen pole meets your needs, don’t forget to dive into the expert guidance I have put together above.
Frequently Asked Questions
#1 – What Is the Best Length for A Surf Fishing Rod?
Although the surf fishing poles are available in many length options, most anglers choose between 10 to 12 ft sizes. They offer large casting distance, strength, and necessary leverage to wrestle with big prey.
#2 – What Is the Best Type of Rod for Surf Fishing?
Besides long length, a fishing rod that is powerful, as well as sensitive, works well for surf fishing. Also, it should be ultra-lightweight, or else it would be a hassle to move it around.
#3 – Can you surf fish with a 6-foot rod?
The minimum length required for surf fishing is 7’ so that you can reach far-off distances. But that doesn’t mean you cannot try out a 6 ft rod. However, it may not work as efficiently as longer alternatives. Therefore, it is recommended that anglers should use rods between 7 to 15 ft long for such applications.
#4 – Is Mono or Braid Better for Surf Fishing?
Braided lines are, in every way, better than mono. For instance, the tightly woven construction provides strength, toughness, and abrasion resistance, allowing the line to survive the hardness of coastline terrain. Not to forget, it also cuts through the incoming waves better.
#5 – What Are Some Best Surf Fishing Rods?
Plenty of impressive surf fishing rods are reviewed above, but the ones that take the lead are Penn Squadron II, BERRYPRO Surf Spinning rod, and the Penn Battalion II. All three of them are worthy of the title of the best pole for surf fishing.